Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm a wee bit Irish

I love themes so this being the month of St. Patricks day, I wanted to go with it. I love to decorate! I love being able to use things for other days, for other things, like I found this place setting at the Dollar tree and I can use for another another Chef night. I am so excited to say I bought everything for under $20.00. and everything is microwave safe and dishwasher safe! This the easy part of the day. I love my little leprecaun! And for $10.00 more I was able to get everyone a T-shirt, and they were so gracious to wear.

Okay, food! I made Stuffed Cabbage, corned Beef and Cabbage(vegetables), Nana Dot's Irish Soda Bread, and Irish Cheese Chocolate cake.

The hardest thing for me was, what do I start to do first? I had a lot going on and I like to have things ready to heat up. If I could have the cheese cake done early then that's one thing less I have to worry about. Well, so that is what I started with first the cheese cake. I had never made one that you had to cook. I made two, one cheese cake with premade pie crust and one pie crust I made. The first cheeese cake was with a premade pie crust and it would of been fine if I had made two pies. I had enough pie filling to make two pies. It was not pretty. I had pie filling over flowing. I was at least smart enough to use a cookie sheet. My pie looked like the Grand Canyon! And so what to do? I made another pie. I made my own crust too,with a springform pan. Not quite as ulgy but still had the canyon but not quite as grand. Tasted pretty good I thought! And the first pie I used some whip cream and grated cookie and it looked almost professionally done.

Okay! I lied, I did ask my husband to put the corned beef in the crock pot with one bottle of Guinnes, while I was out shopping. I am sorry, but it was such an easy thing to do, I forgot. But that was the only thing. I over cooked the veggies, I put them in too soon. Carrots, potatoes, onions and what I had left of the cabbage. I seperated the veggies and sliced the corn beef against the grain. I Put the corned beef on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for the last 20 mins under the stuffed cabbage. I liked the corned beef!

I really liked the Soda bread! I was surprised! With caraway seeds, apple cider vinegar! Oh, and I now know what currants are, they are like raisins.

Stuffing the cabbage, there is a trick to getting the leaves to seprate. I was a little freaked out! Steam for 3 mins. And I cooked the meat and rice before I stuffed, that way you can control the grease, and bind with cheese. Or you can stuff with a mixture of raw meats and cooked rice, it make it easier to roll and stuff. I think I could of rolled a little better and made it prettier.
I am pretty pleased, I thought all the flavors went well together and I used only one head of cabbage so it did'nt seem to over power, I needed the luck of the Irish!

3 comments:

  1. Great meal Gail.

    Really happy to see you get your hands dirty and cook your chef night meal from the ground up.

    I really enjoyed the stuffed cabbage. Sausage/rice/mushrooms is just a great stuffing combo and the flavors were great and not overpowering. I found that stuffing the cabbage leaves was a great touch as well and made for a great profile as opposed to an overpowering pile of cabbage that's traditional for the holiday.

    The soda bread was fantastic, great flavor, great texture... just delicious.

    Your veg perhaps was a bit overcooked although they tasted great. and personally i feel that with a meal like corned beef the veg should have that stew texture.

    The only issues i had w the meal were with the corned beef and the cheesecake.

    I felt like the corned beef was probably PERFECT before you put it in the oven to toast. Either it was in the oven too long or it was just a bad idea, it dried out the meat and added a crunch that is just alien to corned beef. The flavor was great though and we DID polish it off so...

    The cheesecake, for me fell a bit short, you garnished it beautifully and it looked well made, i just had a bit of an issue w flavor, i was expecting chocolate, irish cream cheesecake, but couldnt really taste either. the only real flavors i got were the cheese and what im guessing was the sour cream you mentioned as one of the ingredients. it tasted more like a plain or ny style cheesecake than irish cream or chocolate.

    Overall a strong 7 and a hearty hi-five to you for going for it.

    Im finding that our chef nights are consistently providing meals that are superior in taste and quality to most restaurant meals and am finding myself looking fwd to them as a treat as opposed to a question mark.

    Great job Gail and welcome to the NO BOXES, NO "Sandy made it for me" world of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the meal and I like cooking with themes as well. Soda bread was my favorite. I thought Gail did a wonderful job with it, sweet and soft. I didn't think I would care for the corn beef after it had been toasted in the oven, but I actually like it. The stuffed cabbage was good, but some things need to be cooked with fat. Very good meal. Overall 7.5. I love chef night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am normally not really wild about corned beef and cabbage, but that's a Navy thing. Same reason I don't eat adobo or SOS.

    Corned beef was good, but Emily was wrong about the toasting.

    Veg was tasty, even if overcooked.

    Can't say I liked the stuffed cabbage. I'm not a fan of casseroles (even if it's wrapped in cabbage).

    I liked the cheesecake.

    I'm just happy I wasn't cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete