Sunday, March 13, 2011

Brazilian influenced.

So, I was back in the barrel as the chef du-jour for this week and decided to take inspiration from a Churascuria (brazilian steak house) that i had visited in Beverly Hills a couple weeks ago during the LA Poker Classic - Fogo de Chao.

The concept at this place is simple, you eat until you cant walk! What better idea to model a chef night on?

Well, ok so i DID decide to take it down a notch and just go with some dishes inspired by what i found there as opposed to their "stuff ya to the gills" method.

I started off with a rather simple salad, arugula and baby spinach tossed with a very good balsamic vinaigrette I garnished the salad with tomato and orange slices and served it over red kale and let the crew work on that while i finished dialing in my entree and main sides. (keep em busy so they dont see you sweat!)


I should interrupt here and throw in a little note about Sandy and his uncanny ability to finish a dish faster than any human ive ever met, by the time i got my own salad to the table Sandy's plate consisted of nothing more than an empty orange rind so im fairly certain he enjoyed it, although i have to assume anyone that can eat that fast cant be able to actually taste what he devours. ( i'll take his word that it was good! ;) )


Next up was the combined main course which consisted of a hearty soup/stew of potato's spicy sausage, green onions, sour cream, portabella mushrooms, fontina and cheddar cheeses garnished with fresh chives. I dont have a recipe for this as it was largely made up on the spot and based loosely on a creamy baked potato soup i found online. I thought i came out fantastic
and worked nicely for a chef night as i put it together around noon and let it slow cook in the crock pot most of the day adding the cream and cheeses about 20 mins prior to serving. Maggie seemed to really enjoy the soup and hopefully the remains will provide her with a tasty lunch for the rest of the week.

Along with soup i served bacon wrapped filet mignon and marinated chicken medallions on skewers, personally the chicken marinade i used, i didnt really like but the filet was literally to die for. literally - if it was me and you and the last filet... well... Gladiator comes to mind.












These were served with Pao de Queijo (brazlian cheese puffs) that are made using yucca starch / manioc root. (yah... lets just say the ingredients arent exactly easy to find in Ridgecrest)

These are just a very simple yet delicious parmesan cheese puff. mine came out fairly heavy and i think too dense, having never made them before im fairly certain i made them too big and they were unable to cook and rise thoroughly into the light airy concoctions i enjoyed previously, the flavor however was spot on, so i think my guests were able to get the idea i was shooting for.

For desert, we enjoyed a cupcake TV dinner that Maggie and Olivia made, this was really pretty creative (see the pic) they made some tasty banana cupcakes and decorated them to look like the components of an old fashioned TV Dinner, chicken leg, mashed potatoes w butter and gravy, and the good old diced carrots and peas everyone remembers... they used colored icing and a myriad of candy and caramel to pull off the illusion.

To grade this meal, i guess id give myself a 7 or a 7.5. everything came out pretty close to what i was shooting for, while there were a few shortcomings, its kind of expected when you make something you've never cooked before and your frame of reference for a flavor profile is in your head. But i will let my fellow diners and bloggers do the actual grading.

Thanks for reading!

Brian

3 comments:

  1. I can not take credit for the cupcakes. The inspiration came from Paula Dean. Lots of fun to make though.

    Dinner was pretty good. I really liked the soup. The rolls were good and so was the beef. Lots of bacon. Salad was delicious. I loved the dressing. I give the meal a 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good meal from Mr. Holm. All in all, gotta go with the soup as the pleasant surprise. I like filet, like bacon, but never really cared for them together. Solid 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to step it up B-Monster!I loved it! Even with the bit of grit I was the only one to find in my potatoe soup...Loved it! The salad, I wanted to lick the bowl!The cheesy bread patty's were AWSOME! I had #3. I wanted more but I was so stuffed...O.M.G! You guys are making this so hard to top. I loved the cupcakes...<3...Thank you so much! I know it was a lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete