Saturday, May 7, 2011

Keeping it simple

Really not in the mood for spending the entire day in the kitchen this week. Decided to go with a simple steak and veg. Skipped the appetizer altogether and went with broccoli soup as a starter.

First off was the broccoli soup. Simple recipe (courtesy of Gordon Ramsay) using boiled broccoli. The broccoli was then puree'd in a blender, adding a little bit of salt and pepper and then topped with goat cheese, roasted almonds, and a bit more pepper. I forgot to drizzle it with olive oil.


Steak was ribeye stuffed with cremini mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and blue cheese. I had initially intended to do this on the grill, but with the wind I opted to prepare it on the stove. Veg was fennel. The fennel was first pan seared and then placed in the oven along with garlic, celery, tarragon, parsley, and white wine. The fennel was also a Ramsay recipe.

Lastly, served baked apple. I used Granny Smith apples. These were cored and then stuffed with a mixture of dried cranberries, gold raisins, Cointreau, sugar, and butter. After cooking, I drizzled the apples with heavy cream.

4 comments:

  1. looks and sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was over the top dinner...Everything was fantastic! My very most favorite so far, and that is not easy to say because most every meal we have on chef night is super fantastic! I have a new favorite veggie...Fresh fennel!Okay well my steak was a bit under done but that is only my fault because I like my steak well done and I did not say so, it was still Awsome! Desert was wonderful...Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty tasty meal sir.

    Soup was fantastic...i mean that...FANTASTIC.

    The steak and braised fennel was good... not great...

    You wrapped it nicely with the baked apple, very fresh tasting and nice have a dessert that wasnt ice cream, or chocolate or whipped cream etc...

    Nicely done sir... overall a strong 7.5 but the soup pushed it up a whole nutha level... 8.25 my friend. ;)

    Next time... bake your own bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the soup. Very good stuff. I also enjoyed the fennel alot. The stuffed steak was good. The baked apple was definately one of my favorite desserts. This was one of the better meals so far. Well done.

    ReplyDelete