Sunday, April 3, 2011

Simple French

At the beginning of the day, I didn't have the slightest clue what to make. So... I browsed on the internet and decided on Chicken Cordon Bleu and an "Americanized" French menu. The French food is coming, but Julia Child and I have some work to do before we dive into the real thing. Big menu tonight, with a large portion of things I've never made before. As usual, I made a big mess of the kitchen.

I started the day making bread. I used the bread machine to mix the dough, but then did the rest old school. Rise, pound down, shape, rise, cook. Looked pretty good. Tasted better.

For the starter, I made French Onion Soup. Can't say it turned out that well. It was just okay. I cooked the onions until tender and then added them to a beef broth with a little salt and pepper. ...and then added more salt... and some more... and some more... Still seemed too sweet. The best (and worst) that you can say about it was that it tasted like onion soup out a can. Thanks Gail for that. ;)

Next course was the salad. The recipe called for oranges with the arugula, fennel, and olives, but I went with tangerines instead. The dressing was lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The salad alone was okay. Can't say I cared for the arugula and the fennel is something that doesn't taste well alone. Black olives... are just black olives. The dressing I tasted as well and it was sort of hideous. Oily sticky sweet and peppery. Put together though, the salad and the dressing was surprisingly good. Best surprise of the night. Worth doing again.

Main course was Chicken Cordon Bleu. Never made this before, and it was less effort than I imagined. It was good. Not spectacular. I think it needed more salt. If/when I do this again, I think I might go with prosciutto instead of ham. Served with some steamed asparagus that I added at the last moment simply because I wanted to have a vegetable with the protein. Probably could have left that off. I've made better asparagus before. The veg was cooked just about five minutes too soon and I let it warm in the microwave. Mistake.

Lastly, I made crepes with warm berries, and bananas, and vanilla ice cream. It tasted like the after thought that it was.

Oh... have to say. Maggie and Brian stopped by BevMo for me yesterday. I asked for a couple of bottles of Sauvignon Blanc. Gotta say... the 2010 Vigilance was TASTY! Also had a bottle of 2007 Starmont and it was good, but not memorably so.

Big menu. Big mess.

Menu:


3 comments:

  1. 7.8
    Loved the freshness of your salad and the cordon blue was tasty, and one of my two pieces was cooked perfectly. The homemade bread was great.

    French onion soup was tasty, just a bit lacking in "POW" factor...slightly pedestrian.

    solid effort on the crepes, they werent bad... but neither were they amazing.

    Its great that we're to the point of nitpicking.
    This meal was better than some ive paid for in supposed "nice restaurants".

    Kudos sandman another great chef night.

    I need to come up with something off the res. for next week!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay!I think this time my blog might work. I already did this but because I did not sign in I am going to have to do this again. I cannot repeat myself but...This dinner was so good it is worth the time to do a do over...I would love to have this again and to see you a bit drunk was awsome! The dinner was amazing! Amazing! Desert was a little on the tart and sour side nice try...please try again. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dinner. I enjoyed the soup although I did feel it was a little bland. Salad was very tasty. Surprising. I myself would never of made the salad with that combination and had it been on the table anywhere else, I would not have even tried it. But that is what chef night is about, and it turned out awesome. Chicken was tender and tasty. And I really liked dessert. Overall very good 7+.

    ReplyDelete